Vandalism often involves spray paint on walls, defacement of furnishings, or spreading noxious substances. It is one of the most difficult forms of damage to restore. Prompt action can often minimize the effect of vandalism or make restoration more successful.
- Hose down or wash egg damage from building exteriors as soon as possible.
- Vacuum glass particles from carpet and upholstery.
- Save container and spray cans which can reveal the composition of inks and pigments.
- Save all wood chips and fragments from furniture, porcelain or art objects.
- Do not attempt to remove ink, paint or cosmetic stains; they can be permanently set if not handled properly.
Contributed by ASCR International and the National Institute of Disaster Restoration.